The castle named Svojkov was obviously founded at the beginning of the 14th century.

The castle was built on the 20-metre-high conical hill in the valley under the rock massif of Svojkov. During the construction work, the rock base was used and some parts of the castle were carved directly in the rock. The sandstone needed for the development of the castle was brought from the nearby surroundings. Because of the height of the rock it was possible to build a three-storey construction, with staircases built from outside.

From 1381 the castle was in the possession of the noble family from Chlum. The best-known member of the family was Jan from Chlum, nicknamed Kepka, who - along with Václav from Dubá - accompanied John Huss to the council in Konstanz. He supported Huss' and his teaching and was his loyal friend. During the 16th century the castle dilapidated and in 1590 the wooden part of the castle was pulled down and burnt. In 1650 new owners began to build a small Baroque chateau at the foot of the hill. In the 2nd half of the 19th century the ruin was fixed and completed with new romantic elements.

Locality: 2 km to the south from Sloup v Čechách, near Svojkov


Svojkov, 471 53