The Lomnice area: On Top of Tábor Hill Even without Skis

An easy trip with views – 9 km.

LOMNICE NAD POPELKOU, Husovo nám. – V Popelkách (1,5 km) – Lyžařský areál (2,5 km) Zadní Popelka (3 km) – Allainův kříž (5 km) – Tábor (6,5 km) LOMNICE NAD POPELKOU (9 km)

The Lomnice area

This area located in the northeast part of the region is significantly distinct from the region’s central part because of its geological structure. It lies past the sharp dividing line between Mesozoic sandstone formations and older mountains that spread from Ještěd over Tábor hill to the town of Jičín. In the north-east, it is defined by the Krkonoše foothills. The reduced permeability of the geologic bedrock forced five major rivers to run through the area. Therefore, the local settlements are in more of a linear arrangement, the climate is sub-mountainous and so is the nature of numerous folk architecture structures.

The town of Lomnice nad Popelkou became famous thanks to the production of biscuits, wafers and sponge biscuits. Historically, it is also the first place that witnessed skiing. Since the beginning of the 16th century, linen production has taken place here. The dominant feature of the Lomnice area is Tábor hill with its lookout tower that dates back to 1888. The area also offers other first-class view points. The most beautiful view of the entire Český ráj (Bohemian Paradise)  used to be from Smetana’s lookout near Rváčov and from the flat top of Ředice hill. There is an interesting view from a ski jump in the V Popelkách ski resort. The Lomnice area is also attractive as a peaceful location.

Lomnice nad Popelkou – the town is located in the Popelka river valley, between Bohemain Paradise and the Krkonoše foothills. You can see typical folk architecture (the Karlov conservation area – log houses with richly decorated gables, a wooden belfry). In the 16th century, the textile industry started to develop in the town and in the early 19th century, the production of famous Lomnice biscuits and wafers started. Today, the town has many interesting sights, such as a neo-gothic town hall, the Master John Hus Monument, a Baroque fountain, a plague column, the Baroque Church of Saint Nicolas of Bari and the recently renovated Baroque chateau fromthe 18th century. The Municipal Museum and Gallery housesexpositions on minerals ethnography, folk art, flax processing technologies and housing development from the 16th to 20th centuries. Lomnice nad Popelkou is a traditional tourism and skiing centre. There are maintained cross-country ski trails in the surrounding areas (the Lomnice Ski Arterial Trail) and two ski jumps .

The V Popelkách SKI RESORT – plastic covered ski jumps with ceramic inrun trails and a lookout gallery on ski jump K-70. You can also access two first-class view points from here (Smetanova vyhlídka and Ředice Hill).

Allainův kříž – the cross was erected by Count Camille de Rohan in 1849 to commemorate his brother who died in a horse race. The cross on a stone barrow was originally made from wood and a year later, a stonemason created an accurate stone copy. Kamil Rohan used to come to the cross to pray for his brother.

Tábor – Originally called Chlum; today’s name is derived from people’s camps (in Czech tábor) during the Hussite times. The original Gothic chapel was rebuilt into the Baroque Church of the Transformation of Christ from the Counter-Reformation period. Tábor was once a procession destination– there is a Way of the Cross with 14 brick stations decorated with cast-iron reliefs on the northern hillside near the Křížovka spring. The first wooden lookout tower was built on the top by the Lomnice Decorative Association as early as 1888 and rebuilt to a brick one in 1911. Today, there is a recently redeveloped chalet with a lookout tower from where you can see one quarter of Bohemia and count as many as 50 church spires and 12 lookout towers. Seasonal .

Lomnice nad Popelkou